Gra Nomad Wanderings

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Country With No Beer

From number 3 child, number 1 son

So after various positive beer drinking experiences in various Sth American countries (thankyou Argentina, home of ¨Quilmes¨), I was looking forward to arriving in Colombia, home of the mighty ¨Cerveza Aguila¨. Imagine my displeasure when we arrived and i found we had hit the weekend of the elections in Bogotà, meaning we couldn`t hit the town on a Saturday night, and even worse, for the whole weekend, they didn`t sell beer.
Or wine.
Or scotch.
Or rum.
Or Vodka.

Can you imagine the uproar if they tried that in Australia??? I figure I`m gonna come back here, get myself a Colombian passport and nationality and run for government. My slogan would be ¨Elect me, and next year I`ll let you buy beer on election day!¨ Sure fire winner I`d reckon.

Most of downtown was closed due to increased security too, but unfortunately this didn`t lead to even a brief frisking by a woman in uniform, or even a man. at least I got my bag searched.

Before I go, I`d like to note some observations I`ve made over the last month or so.
  • Mail offices are inefficient everywhere.
  • Council ¨Workers¨ do nothing anywhere.
  • Beer is good Everywhere.
  • Altitude sickness is a poor excuse for being sick, especially when used at sea level, before the plane you`re in has even taken off.
  • Personality groupings are a myth propogated by a group of people who wish to make money off gullible people (incidently my personality groups are ¨Gullible enough to give me money for nothing¨, and ¨Not gullible enough to give me money for nothing¨.), either that or an excuse for por behaviour. When used in conjunction with ¨Compulsive Obsessive¨ syndrome and the alledged ADHD these personality traits can be lethal. Please see a bully for a belting should symptoms persist.

The good news is when I arrived home for lunch today, sitting on the bench, along with a delicious serve of beans (frijoles) was... BEER!!!

8 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Keasty

Sounds like you've been on holidays too long if the biggest problem you have is finding beer!!!
Can't wait to hear of your adventures and its great to hear that you are well. What have been Fay's highlights?
Look after yourself and God Bless. Be praying for us here the church meeting is on tonight and it could be a long one!!!
Love Creighton & Kathy

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

Maybe you need to pack a first aid kit with emergency beer rations in case you find a similar problem elsewhere.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Keasty said...

Thanks for your thoughts Kath... been on holidays too long.... strike.... only 6 wks!

And Rodney, hopefully the need won´t bother us any more after Friday as Peta and Jem depart for LA while we hang about near Miami or wherever. But I´ll pass the message on to Jeremy.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah... sure. Unfortunately beer rations don`t last long with myself and Peta on the case. We don`t save beer, we drink beer!

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gra & Fay and gang,
Sounds like you're having a real adventure. What a great opportunity when you're all so fit and able to enjoy it! The down-market digs in Iquito are perhaps a reminder of the realities of life faced by more than half the people in our world. Let's face it, the Saviour himself didn't have much over his head when he first arrived, either! It just helps us appreciate that the grace of God and this great country of ours have made possible what our parents have been able to do for us and hopefully what we have been able to do for our own kids.
Enjoy the rest of your adventures! Have safe travel!

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bill and Stuart and I reckoned that any beer supplies stoerd up by Jem and PJ in anticipation of a drought would need to have been drunk fairly quickly ... beer goes off so fast in hot weather.
Have fun
Marg

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

No alcoholic beverages during elections?!?! I'd like to see them try that in America.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

hmmm, sounds like you like beer or something. lol! Not me, I love iced tea, that is my drink of choice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home