Gra Nomad Wanderings

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

CRICKET and TENNIS PLAYERS ONLY

Well, there's sure been a heap of talk and story and interview etc following the recent 2nd cricket test between India and Australia. Many will remember 6 Jan 2008 as the end to a shocker of a test which contained bad umpiring, possible racist comments and maybe even poor sportsmanship. Yeah, guess there was that. But there was also some other stuff. There was tight bowling and creative field placings to restrict some of the Aussies. There were great digs by Symonds, Hayden, Hussey, Ganguly and of course the little Master himself, Sachin Tendulkar. There was also some tail wagging. And, just to please Peta, some declarations! ("OK fellas, in you come!") The photo above is just one I took of Hayden on his way to 123 in the 2nd dig. Thanks for the ticket SJK.
I'm thankful I was raised by two great parents, Jack and Willie. They taught me to play the game fairly. They taught me to accept the umpire's decisions. They taught me that there is maybe more to the game than the actual winning or losing (Rudyard Kipling thought that too!) They taught me that you can enjoy the battle but respect your opponents. Sure I am somewhat saddened to see players stand their ground when they have blatantly knicked the ball to the keeper or even to the slips. I am disappointed when I see some of the blokes carrying on like a couple of pork chops (that's for Margy). But, I still love cricket! Guess I'm a cricket tragic.
* * * * * *
Currently I'm a volunteer at the NSW Tennis Open - the Medibank International, at Olympic Park. I'll tip Henin to win the ladies and Hewitt to win the men's singles. (I won't put money on it though.) My job is to get the drinks to the players, get the towels to the players and get balls onto the courts. If it rains I have to help dry the court. I also have to hold the brolly over the players during their game breaks to give them some shade. Good fun.

Special thanks to Rob Sheeley for the photo of .... is it Vaidisova from Czech Republic? Great shot. Thanks mate! Taken at the Medibank International a couple of days ago.

* * * * * * * *
Off to Sussex Inlet on Saturday to get a couple more swims in. Fay is down there enjoying herself.... swimming, cycling, beach walking, watching late night TV etc. Can't wait to get down there

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Can I change my guess for a winner in the men's singles to Tom Berdych (CZE)? Just saw Hewitt beaten by fellow Aussie Guccione.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Saw you over on Kathi's blog so I decided to come by for a visit. I've always wanted to try cricket. Just something alluring about the culture of the sport.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Sorry Wes... not too many Americans can handle cricket. But come out here and I'll give ytou a few lessons. My #2 daughter has just discovered cricket at the age of 30. Unreal!

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, some others will remember 6th January 2008 for other reasons like birthdays too!
love to family and friends

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grahame,

I am taping the tennis tourny hoping to catch sight of you.
Have a great time and enjoy the ringside seats.

Wil

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Keasty said...

I fear Wil thinks I'm at the Australian Open in Melbourne! Sorry. I'm at the Medibank International in Sydney. Only one more day for me. Cameras rarely show us as they prefer to focus on the players.
Yes, happy birthday to ACK on 6 Jan for the big 60!!!! Does he look any older?

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger kathi said...

Throw in some mountains in the background and you've got my idea of heaven there. Love it!

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grahame,

Our satelite provider carries the "Tennis Channel". They are broadcasting both events. The Medibank Tourny is limited to "Match of the Day" and highlights. So yes it's a little bit like looking for a "needle in a haystack". But we are looking : )

Wil

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Keasty,

Thanks for stopping by, I enjoyed hearing from someone thousands of miles from me. Isn't the internet awesome that way?

I loved reading your post about your anniversary getaway, and I must say that your son sounds like his Mom and Dad did an amazing job raising him. I only hope I am raising my children to be the same. Your grandson is adorable, and I bet has you wrapped around his little finger.

Have fun at the tennis tournament. I used to play back before I had kids, but still enjoy a game now and again.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Hey Kathi - spot on!
Wil - I'm wearing a light blue long sleeved shirt and sometimes seen holding brolly over players during their beak. Souvenired Radek Stepanek's racquet when he chucked it in the garbage bin.
Michelle - yes raising kids is a big responsibility. Much easier being a grandad!!!
Now back home at Dubbo after being away for 6 weeks. Boy there's some mail here!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home