Gra Nomad Wanderings

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Don’t Come Monday – BFB 3 Oct


The last day is always a bit sad as we all know we won’t see most of the team for another 12 months. For me… well, this could be my swan song.
The knees have held up remarkably well. Thanks Lord. Even managed 80 kph down the big hill on the final day. My highest speed of the trip. That’s actually pretty quick for an old guy like me.
The hospitality at Blackheath Anglican Church was great (as ever!) Fay drove across from Dubbo (a bit over 3 hours’ drive) to collect me and the bike and the gear. We then stayed the night at Amani Cottage - Bed and Breakfast, with Bill and Rosemary Chapple. I’ve just ridden with 5 of their grandkids on the ride. Good kids! Even Big Jon! Bill and Rosemary have a delightful spot near Govett’s Leap at Blackheath. The view of the Blue Mountains from our top window was awesome! And their garden is spectacular.
So today, Monday, is a public holiday in NSW. It is a rest day for me and the other 50 odd cyclists who participated in this 1,000 km ride over 9 days. We expect to collectively raise between $85,000 and 100,000 for Uganda and Kenya. Funds will be used to develop reading materials and programs and also assist them in dealing with HIV/AIDS. Yes, I’ve still got quite a bit of sponsorship money to come in, but I was encouraged when my mate Bev phoned up this afternoon to assure me of his sponsorship. Thanks mate. If you'd like to sponsor me, send me an email - keasty@aapt.net.au and we'll arrange something.
A great memorable ride for me. Thanks Lord. Thanks riders and support crew. Thanks Jim (the organiser.) Now I can get some sleep. I'll get you some photos shortly.

3 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Keasty. A great blog site. Cheryl and I very much enjoyed your company, quirky humor, and the now infamous train whistle!
We have enjoyed not being on a bike now for 2 days!
My wounds are healing well (= starting to stiffen up). Back to work tomorrow. Might go for a ride on Saturday.....

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

I rode 20 km today and then at 5pm played 3 hard sets of tennis. Wonder how I'll be tomorrow? Feel geat now.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the end of ride is always a bot sad. I missed the last couple of days but managed to get back to the last day from Lithgow to Blackheath. My role as Keast 2 is to drive the car and look after Keast 1 on the bike, along with all his mates and the other riders. Bike for Bibles is a real privilege for work on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home