Gra Nomad Wanderings

Thursday, December 01, 2005

X is for XTRA


Guess I cheated just a tad, but, well, who’s gonna pick me up on it?

I want to ask you – do you have a crack at going the extra mile for others? Are you prepared to step out of your comfort zone and contact someone or do you sit back and decide – someone else will do it.

I sometimes find that when I learn someone has been diagnosed with cancer or her fiancé has been electrocuted or… I find that part of me is just too scared or shy and I am reluctant to make contact. I have had to say to myself – hey, put yourself in their shoes… would you appreciate it if someone just rang you if you were in similar circumstances?

I spent part of Saturday helping some little kids get their bikes back on the road. Had to mend a few punctures, adjust some brakes, lower seats etc. The kids in general (all Aboriginal kids) were appreciative. I showed them how to do things – like how to use the tyre levers (spelt tire levers in USA), use the pump, find the hole in the tube etc. Progress won’t happen overnight, but it’s a bit like the bloke they found on the beach after hundreds of starfish had beached themselves up on the sand. (Or stranded themselves up on the beach.) He was throwing the stranded starfish back into the water, one at a time. A bloke went up to him and asked, “Hey, what are you doing? There’s millions of them on the beach. What difference can you make?” The stranger threw another one into the water and said with confidence, “Sure made a difference to that one.”

Yep, I figure if I can do that little bit extra – I might be able to make a difference in some lives.
Think about some extra stuff you can do this week… maybe next week. Want to share something? Click on comments and go right ahead. Even my daughter is allowed to comment!!!

8 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

God bless you Keasty! That is a wonderful way of being Jesus to someone. You will probably never know the difference you made until you get to Heaven. But I am blessed just looking at those smiling faces!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

That is so cool! I love it when people reach out to others and you are definately doing that. I remember being a little kid and some adult even taking the time to listen to me, they became very special in my mind and even today I can remember their kindness to me.

Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

I think several people have decided to do the 31 Day Challenge, I love Proverbs, I've read it many times and always get something new. I agree with you on the gospels, if we are to be like Jesus, we need to read the Gospels to see what Jesus did and to listen to what He said, you inspired me to go read them again!!!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Just Jan said...

(I'll pick you up on it...I believe you skipped a letter of the alphabet...where's V ?)

What you have done with and for those children is grand thing and they'll remember your kindness for a longtime to come and perhaps return the favor to others. I have many times helped others without even a second thought about doing it. I have no clue what my problem is lately in life. I seem to isolate myself at home too much. I need to get out and socialize more and perhaps more opportunities will present themselves for me to go the extra mile for someone.

Great post and thanks for making me think about how I'm living my life.

( Dinah is a great mix-breed and I would have never guessed she didn't have pit in her..thanks for letting me know).

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger kathi said...

You just make me smile. I'm so grateful for people like you. Thank you for being where someone else can't, and for taking advantage of being able to make a difference.
I'm going to borrow the starfish story, love it. You'll get the credit, hope it introduces a few more people to you. There should be many more here, I got here by way of Jan (bbsgirl). God is Good!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Found you from BBS Girl's site ... what a lovely post. I just adore that photograph ... such beautiful, happy children. You've inspired me, and by today's end - I will be sure to have reached out and done something kind today. I promise.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Wow. I'm so guilty of doing what you just said here. I sometimes don't contact my friends---go out of my comfort zone and think, "Well someone else will do that."

So true. Why I do this, I have no idea.

Hmm. This was a really thought provoking post. Really makes you think about how other people really feel. If I were in that situation- or a crisis going on in 'my life', I certainly welcome calls from good friends or someone who really cared to see how I was doing.

Thanks for sharing this. You send such a positive message.

And ---you made a difference in the way I think. That must count for one, right? Imagine how many other people are reading your blog right now. :)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Hey Jan, I did blog V... think it was VULNERABLE but not titled that way.... Wed 23 Nov. I'll email you direct as I'm concerned about you isolating yourself a bit at present. Kathi - be my guest! No worries mate.
Good onya Wendy. And deb (I've got a daughter Deb) thanks for your honesty. Always good to hear from Jennifer and Dana. Thanks folks.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger John Smith said...

Good program (Y)
Chuyển nhà giá rẻ tại khu đô thị trung hòa |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà tại khu đô thị ciputra |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ khu đô thị việt hưng |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ tại times city |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói tại khu đô thị trung hòa |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói khu đô thị trung hòa |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà tại khu đô thị times city |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói khu đô thị việt hưng |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ khu đô thị times city |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà trọn gói tại ecopark |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ khu đô thị royal city |
Chuyển nhà giá rẻ tại khu đô thị royal city |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà giá rẻ khu đô thị royal city |
Chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ tại trung hòa |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà trọn gói giá rẻ tại ecopark |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà tại khu đô thị times city |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà tại khu đô thị ciputra |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà giá rẻ tại khu đô thị trung hòa |
Dịch vụ chuyển nhà trọn gói khu đô thị trung hòa
chuyển nhà trọn gói

 

Post a Comment

<< Home