Gra Nomad Wanderings

Sunday, November 20, 2005

T is for TRAVEL


What do they say – travel broadens the mind! I must have one pretty healthy mind!
I love to travel. So does Fay. I love to travel round parts of NSW, areas in Sydney, other states in Oz and practically anywhere O/S. In 2004 and 2005 Fay and I wandered round Qld, Vic, SA and WA. It has been great to see parts of our country we’d not seen before and also revisit places and people we’d been to and met before.
Travel brings alive things and events you’ve heard about, read about or seen pictures or movies of.
Travel helps you put things in perspective. Travel helps you appreciate your homeland – at least it has for me. After spending 4 years in Canada, I found I could smell the trees when I returned to Australia! How come I couldn’t smell them before?
I’m fortunate in that I come from a beautiful country – we call it the lucky country. Before I retired I looked at various places with a view to retiring there to live permanently. After much thought and visiting some of those places (like Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Forster) I decided (actually we decided) that we’d stay in Dubbo where we’d lived for 6 years because it had just about everything we wanted in retirement.
We're heading overseas in 2006 - for a large part of the year.
I’m really looking forward to so many new experiences – such as seeing Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu in Peru, cycling across Kansas, visiting Ireland and Greece and seeing and walking on the Great Wall of China. They’re just some of what I’m looking forward to in 2006.
Interestingly enough, I love to combine S for SPORT and T for TRAVEl. It’s great to travel to places through sporting events or sporting connections. For example, my Canadian brother Bill has just spent a week golfing along the Murray River from Corowa to Wentworth. A great trip. Excuse me while I travel into the armchair and watch some more of the cricket!
What is that photo of with this post? You'll find out tomorrow!!! Can you guess?

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Ah, I love travel too and I also love that feeling when you get home and sleep in your own bed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home