Gra Nomad Wanderings

Sunday, May 06, 2007

SHARP AS


It happened in Woolworths today. I heard this call over the loudspeaker.... if you want a free knife go to the table near the bakery. I zoomed there (with my trolley). First person there. They repeated the verbal offer a couple of times. Others gathered. Fay came over and took the trolley as she could see that I wasn't gonna be helping her with the groceries till my mission had been accomplished.

A lady came out.... beauty! We're gonna get our knives now! Well she explained that everybody could have a free knife and then showed us the small paring knife - brand Forever Sharp. Good name if you're trying to sell knives... but she's giving them away.

Then she started on this spiel about how she's gonna do this brief demo and then we can have the knives. She cuts a tomato. She shows how a blunt knife is hopeless and can't cut the tomato. Then she shows again how her knife is such a great knife. She's using a much larger knife than the small pen-sized paring knife she is gonna give me. Hope there's enough knives for everyone. Then she has to show us all how her knife (large) actually cuts steel and hacks into a steel hammer. Then she attacks the breadboard. Even though I am closest to her, I am able to take evasive action should she look for a human volunteer.

Then she tells us that the knife (large) that she's using, she can sell to us for $30. (Where's the free knife she promised?) Not only that, but she can do us another one for $3! We are truly amazed. But wait, there's more! (Heard that one before?) She then says she'll throw another one in free. THREE KNIVES.... ALL LARGE. Then she says she'll give us the small one free too. And we can have another small one. And then to cap it all off she adds a middle sized knife... all for the same price... and 2 plastic things (takes too long to explain what they are and what they are used for, so just trust me on this one, OK? They are handy.)

3 large knives, 1 middle sized knife and 2 small knives (and the 2 plastic things).... sounds like a three bears story - there was a big knife, a middle sized knife and a tiny little knife.... $33.

Yes, I'll have a set thanks! What'll I tell Fay? She will probably shop alone next time.

I don't see anyone asking about Brad. Maybe they've forgotten!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had better not find ebay Grahame or Fay will really be in trouble then!!!!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

I have to get permission now Kathy to spend more than $20! There's been a limit put on my credit card, so I guess that means I won't be getting that Peugeot 307 any time soon!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger julie said...

You're prepared for any tomatoe you meet!

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have not forgotten. still waiting:):):)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Julie, I'm deadly on tomatoes don't worry. Great knives!
Smokes... what are you waiting for? Elaine (cyclist) from Adelaide called in today! Great to see her.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

still waiting for the blog about Brad.:):)

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Just Jan said...

There's always a catch! Good luck finding things to buy these days for less than $20.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home