Gra Nomad Wanderings

Thursday, November 10, 2005

L is for LOVE

Well you knew that anyway didn’t you? L is for LOVE I mean.
The five basic needs are:
# Power
# Freedom
# Fun
# Belonging and
# LOVE
As a schoolteacher I often came across kids who were desperately in need of love. They needed a cuddle. They craved attention. They wanted the teacher to spend time with them. Yes, there were always many kids who didn’t get enough LOVE.
One of my concerns is that there are too many latch key kids - kids who have to let themselves in when they get home from school. Unfortunately Mum and Dad are both out working.
I think it was 1958 when Aunty Maida went back to work. She went back when her youngest of 4 kids started kindergarten. I was 15 years old and I was so thankful that MY MUM was home when I got there after school, except for Tuesdays when she was playing tennis 2 km away. Guess I was one of the lucky ones who always (except for Tuesdays) had a Mum at home when I got there. Life has changed so much, and nowadays parents usually believe that they NEED to return to work as soon after their kids are born as possible. Well, I reckon kids need LOVE more than the parents need MONEY and material things. At least that’s the way I see it. Guess I’m a bit old fashioned eh?
This photo was taken in 1943 I guess. It's me and my Mum. She died in 1968 at the age of 52. In that short time she gave me all the love I needed. I have been incredibly blessed.

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Rita said...

Just look at the love and pride on her face. You can see it in her eyes and her smile... precious!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Keasty said...

Hey Rita, they used to call her Smiley! Isn't that neat? Thanks for your comment. In the Keast family, there was this legend that Mum was the mother of the Gracci children... and thought all her children (even me) were jewels! Yes, she sure did love us!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Absolutely precious! What a beautiful picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home