Gra Nomad Wanderings

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A BIT OF BACKGROUND


Found out there are people – even in Australia! Who don’t know where the “granomad” comes from. Strike!
There are a heap of people who are travelling this country because they have recently retired. These people are aged from 55-70 in the main. Many have grey hair. Hence the term grey nomad. My Christian name is Grahame (correct spelling) – you can call me Keasty, that’s cool. I also get called Gra and even Gae (when it was cool to call someone Gae or even Gay. My daughter is named after me…. Debra Gae! So, can you see now how I came up with gra nomad???? Not too tricky really.

One problem with retirees is that we don’t get holidays any longer. Every day is the same. Anyway, we live in the outback here in Oz. Outback for most people, certainly for people from America, Manitoba, Melbourne, Sydney etc. As it’s now summer, the temps here have started to climb. Last couple of days have been 35 and 37 Celsius! Damn hot! So…. What do all red blooded Aussies do when it gets too hot? Head for the beach! On Thursday 8 Dec Fay and I will head to a little village near Sussex Inlet, which is about 2.5 hours (yes, two and a half hours) south of Sydney. A BEAUTIFUL SPOT. We’re gonna stay there till 12 Jan when we think we should return home to get ready for our overseas trip.
It’ll take us about 6 hours travelling to get to our little van park. From then on, we read, swim, surf, walk on beach, cycle, swim, read, relax etc. Oh, maybe play some tennis. The photo shows the beach just walking distance from our caravan. How good is that?

The only access to internet will be when I go into town to an internet café… so I’ll be writing less. But in the short time that I’ve been in this new world, I’ve met some cool people. I hope we can keep those friendships. Who knows, Fay and I might even meet some of you as we travel around in 2006.

God bless you.

4 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I was wondering about granomad myself. Thanks for the explanation! Enjoy your vacation. I hope you have a peaceful time of rest and relaxation.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Just Jan said...

What beautiful photo of the beach. Thanks for the explanation of granomad...I was curious as well but didn't want to ask..hehehe. I just know that you and Fay are going to have a wonderful vacation. Post when you can...I'll be checking in.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

hey Keasty make sure you contact me when you come down to Melbourne =)

Would like to visit you over there one day too.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger kathi said...

Have a safe and much blessed trip. We'll miss you, but are so happy for you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home