Gra Nomad Wanderings

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Y is for WHY

In 2003 I rode with a bicycling team from Perth to Adelaide - 2788 km -1743 miles. (I went on with another team from Adelaide to Sydney, an extra 1500 km - 900 miles.) Our team was known as the Y team. Why did we have to get up so early? Why are there hills? Why did we have to… Why are we…. Why does the…. Etc. Rodney can vouch for this story. [Hey that's the first time I've done that Rodney!! Thanks for the tuition the other day.]
Seriously though, one of the important things in life is asking questions. Do you agree? It’s a pity but I didn’t really find out about the power of asking questions till towards the end of my career in education. And fancy, I’d been a teacher and a school principal for many many years! Why do you think this was so? On our recent trip to NT we called at Ngukurr (east of Mataranka). While there we went up to visit the school. The kids there have a natural curiosity. Why this, why that, how come this, when will you …etc. We showed them our Avan and put it up for them. Next thing I knew we had about 20 + kids climbing in the Avan and asking piles of questions. I used to think it was a 2 berth van!!!
I might check your latest post and see how you're going with asking questions. Is it a sign of intelligence? Or if not, what?
Hey sorry folks.... my puter did not want to give you a photo... no matter how hard I tried.

3 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger kathi said...

And here I thought kids just asked questions to irritate me. :) Just kidding.
My 15 yr old, Charlie, still asks questions, and it always amazes me because it's stuff I usually have to look up to answer myself...so when he asks, we BOTH learn.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger kathi said...

Oh, and I meant to say that I'm always asking questions. However, it seems with 15 and 16 yr old boys, the questions are usually like 'where are you', 'when will you be home', 'do you have any homework', 'do you need any money', 'can't you keep those jeans pulled up so your boxers don't show'...that sort of thing.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I LOVE questions! You've been tagged, by the way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home